Check out what Grace Farm Members have to say about their CSA farm experience:
Catherine wrote an article on our farm for Sparks(Brighton Library Publication): Meditating on the Land
We have thoroughly enjoyed Lora’s Nourishing Produce and hope to continue participation for many years. The vegetables and fruits are healthy, beautifully grown and presented by a true farmer. Lora’s knowledge and enthusiasm result in delicious produce which is a delight to receive each week. She provides recipes and all kinds of information. Pick ups are easy and fun and there are pick up locations all over the Denver area. We look forward to visiting Lora’s farm this summer with our granddaughter, so she can see where all this wonderful food comes from!! Thanks Lora, we appreciate your work and produce!!
By: Andre (Feb 23, 2013)
There’s nothing better than local produce, and Lora’s Nourishing Produce exemplifies that. Compared with most store-bought produce, it lasts longer once you get it home and tastes better, too. Lora grows a wonderful variety of produce, including heirloom varieties; it would be difficult to grow that much variety in my back yard, so even if I had the time to tend to a garden, there are clear benefits to joining this CSA. The fruit she gets directly from Colorado farmers (e.g. those on the western slope) is also top-notch. Lora makes it easy to obtain CSA shares with multiple drop-off locations.
I volunteered on Lora’s farm, located in Brighton, in 2012, and I will be volunteering again this year. Connecting more with my food brings me great joy 🙂
The Best Produce
By: Ethel (Feb 23, 2013)(farm member from the beginning in 2006)
Lora provides wonderful produce. The variety for a small farm is amazing. She researches heirloom varieties and delivers them fresh-picked. The fruit she doesn’t grow herself is top quality. The prices are competitive with Whole Foods or other organic stores.
If pesticide/herbicide free, super-fresh produce is important to you and your family, this is the way to go–and easier than growing it on your own!
By: Cindy (Farm Member since 2013 Season)
I’ve been thinking about joining a CSA for several years, I shied away from doing so because I was worried I would receive a lot of “weird vegetables” that I wouldn’t know how to prepare and/or wouldn’t like to eat. In 2013, after doing a LOT of research, I decided to try CSA and chose Lora’s Nourishing Vegetables.
Working with Lora was such a wonderfully pleasant surprise!
I recommend Lora to all of my friends and family. The arguments against CSA that I constantly receive (and my rebuttals) in return are:
1) It’s so expensive. My response: Actually, it’s comparable to shopping for QUALITY produce at King Soopers, Vitamin Cottage, or Whole Foods. I did the math. Yes, you have to pay up front, which can be a lot of money for some people living paycheck to paycheck to come up with in one payment. However, with a little planning, you can put aside enough money to pay the lump payment in the Spring.
2) It’s a hassle to have to pick up the produce. My response: Yes, it takes a little extra planning, but with so many pickup locations around the metro area, you should be able to find a location that is convenient. AND, if a group of co-workers sign up with you, you might be able to convince Lora to add a new location!
3) But I don’t LIKE kale. My response: Have you tried it? I hadn’t before I joined CSA. Now I love kale, micro greens, and lots of other vegetables that I was introduced to last year. More importantly, I am able to receive fresh vegetables through the CSA that I can’t even buy (at any price) in my local grocery store.
4) Even if I wanted to try CSA, I won’t know how to fix the vegetables and will end up wasting a lot of money as the vegetables go bad in my refrigerator. My response: Choose Lora’s Nourishing Produce! Lora provides a recipe idea for every vegetable you pick up! Last year I made a cheddar pear pie using Lora’s included recipe. I would have never even searched for this recipe on-line and may I just say “YUM!”
5) But it’s just my husband and me. We won’t be able to eat that much fresh produce every week. My response: First, store everything in aluminum foil in the refrigerator. You’ll be amazed how it prolongs the freshness of vegetables. Secondly, my husband and I were able to keep up with the volume just fine. He was even away one of the weeks and I was able to eat everything on my own. Of course, it means you may be eating more vegetables than you currently include in your diet, but that is a very healthy choice!
6) I’m going to be out of town several times this summer. Will I just miss my vegetables those weeks? My response: We were gone a few times last year as well. During the summer, I gifted my weeks away to a friend. I notified Lora who would be picking up my share and my friend was able to enjoy some fresh vegetables (that she STILL raves about).
I am so glad I finally decided to try CSA last year. I love the variety, freshness, quality, and Lora’s commitment to good land stewardship by choosing not to use pesticides, herbicides or any chemicals. Lora has chosen to use methods that don’t include anything you wouldn’t want to eat.
I also HIGHLY recommend the Fall CSA. I was a little leery about receiving canned, frozen, and dried food that I had not personally prepared, as I have pretty high hygiene standards. (I only eat my own food at potlucks.) I discussed this with Lora and discovered she is just as committed to food safty as I am. I enjoyed the Fall share as much or more as the Summer share.
By: Diane (Apr 28, 2013)
I have ordered from Lora when she was offering a la carte and when she moved to a CSA. Lora is very conscious and conscientious regarding how she nourishes the land and her animals and the food she produces reflects this. As with the previous posts – her food tastes great and lasts much longer than any similar product purchased from a “high end” store. Lora also cares about her CSA members-providing recipes and staying in touch.
By: (Nov 3, 2009)
This was our first time participating in a CSA and we loved it!
It is really neat to pick up you veggies each week from the person who is also the grower. Lora included recipes in many of her weeks deliveries which was an awesome bonus. The produce was beautiful and very delicious.
We are hooked and look forward to next season.